Canvas Native Integration Instructions
VeriCite offers both a native integration and an LTI integration for Canvas. The native integration works within the LMS's Assignments tool and is enabled as part of your Canvas installation. The LTI integration may be configured separately without modifying the Canvas plugins or properties. You may install either or both integrations in a single instance of your LMS. Most institutions make the LTI tool available to system administrators so that they can access the admin features and reports via the LTI interface.
In order to use the native VeriCite integration with Canvas, Instructure will need to enable the plugin for your instance of Canvas. Your Canvas administrator will need to provide the following information to Instructure along with your request to enable VeriCite.
Send an email to Instructure Support with the following information in your request.
Note: Canvas only supports one native integration at a time for plagiarism services. If you are using another plagiarism service and you would like to use VeriCite as well, you will need to either request that Instructure disable the native integration for the other service, or use the VeriCite LTI integration instead.
Information to be supplied to Instructure.
- VeriCite Account ID: This is your unique account ID, also known as your Consumer Key. It will be provided to you by VeriCite.
- VeriCite Shared Secret: This is your unique shared secret. It will be provided to you by VeriCite.
- VeriCite Host: This is the host for the VeriCite service: api.vericite.com (Note: Please be sure to use this host address, not the one used for the LTI integration. DO NOT include http:// at the beginning. The VeriCite host should be api.vericite.com only.)
- Submission Comments: Text entered here is displayed when students submit their assignments. If left blank, no additional text is displayed upon submission.
- VeriCite Pledge: Text entered here is displayed to students prior to submission and student are required to acknowledge the pledge before they can submit. If left blank, no pledge is shown or required for submission.
- Show Preliminary Score: If this option is selected, the initial preliminary report score will be displayed to users as soon as it is available, even if the final external search has not yet completed.
- Students can see the originality report: This option is the default setting for when students are allowed to view their VeriCite reports. You may choose to let students view their own reports Immediately, After assignment has been graded, After the due date, or Never. Instructors may override this setting for individual assignments if desired.
- Exclude Quotes: This option is the default setting for Exclude Quotes in VeriCite reports. This setting is typically enabled to avoid false positives. Instructors may override this setting for individual assignments if desired.
- Exclude Self Plagiarism: This option is the default setting for Exclude Self Plagiarism in VeriCite reports. This setting is typically enabled so that multiple submissions of the same paper by the same student in the same site are seen as drafts and not counted against the student as matching papers. Instructors may override this setting for individual assignments if desired.
- Store in Index: This option is the default setting for storing student submissions in your private institutional repository. This setting is typically enabled so that student submissions are added to your repository and scanned for matching text against other student submissions at your institution. Instructors may override this setting for individual assignments if desired.
Subject: Enable VeriCite Native Integration Plugin
Please enable the VeriCite Native Integration Plugin for our Canvas instance and disable any other native plagiarism plugins currently in use.
- VeriCite Account ID: sample-university
- VeriCite Shared Secret: 9876543210xyz
- VeriCite Host: api.vericite.com
- Submission Comments: Your submission will be sent to VeriCite to be electronically reviewed for plagiarism. Please refer to the university's academic integrity policy regarding plagiarism.
- VeriCite Pledge: I certify that I have read the university's academic integrity policy and that this submission represents my own original work.
- Show Preliminary Score: No
- Students can see the originality report: Immediately
- Exclude Quotes: Yes
- Exclude Self Plagiarism: Yes
- Store in Index: Yes