How do I add a VeriCite assignment?
In your Canvas site, go to Assignments.
Click the +Assignments button.
Enter your assignment information.
Enter the following information for your assignment:
- Assignment title
- Assignment description
- Points for the assignment
- Assignment Group (Optional)
- Display Grade format
Select Online as the Submission Type.
Select File Uploads.
It is important to select ONLY the File Uploads option for student submissions. The new plagiarism detection framework will not work if any other options are selected.
Note: After you have selected File Uploads, the Plagiarism Review section will appear just below the submission type settings.
Select VeriCite from the Plagiarism Review drop-down menu.
View or modify the VeriCite Assignment Settings.
By default, the following settings are enabled. If you would like to turn off any of these settings, remove the check mark next to each item you'd like to disable.
- Exclude Quotes: Excluding quoted material means that any text recognized as quoted material will automatically be excluded from the report. Text within quotation marks or parentheses is excluded as quoted material. This setting is enabled by default in order to prevent false positives. Note that you may toggle this option on and off within an individual report if desired.
- Exclude Self-Plagiarism: Excluding self-plagiarism means that multiple submissions of the same paper by the same student in the same course are seen as drafts and not counted against the student as matches within the report. This setting is enabled by default in order to prevent false positives. Note that you may toggle this option on and off within an individual report if desired. (Also note that submissions of the same paper by the same student in different courses are always counted as self-plagiarism matches, regardless of the assignment setting within an individual course.)
- Store in Index: By default, all student submissions are stored within the private institutional repository so that they can be matched against other paper submissions at your institution. However, if you do not want to store student submissions within your private repository for a particular assignment, you may turn this setting off.
Choose when students can view the report.
From the drop-down menu, specify when students are allowed to view their own VeriCite reports. You may select Immediately, After the assignment is graded, After the Due Date, or Never.
Complete your assignment setup and click Save.
Finish setting up your assignment by specifying group, peer review, moderation, and availability options. Then click Save to save your assignment.
Note: If you are ready to publish the assignment for students in the class, you may select the Save & Publish button instead.